Primary & Secondary Healthcare Department (P&SHD), Government of Punjab launched “Prevention and Control of Non-Communicable Diseases, Punjab” in 2016 to mobilize the provincial financial resources required for implementation of NCDs screening, awareness & continuity of care interventions. NCDs Program is at the forefront of the fight against NCDs. Our strategy emphasizes the use of innovative approaches to diagnosis and care; advocacy for increased attention; integration of NCDs prevention and control into health care system; and activities to increase the availability of affordable essential medicines and technologies.
To protect the people of the Punjab against the risk of developing NCDs through health promotion, multi-sectoral action and control NCDs through early detection and effective management at all levels of healthcare system by adopting holistic approach, to reduce NCDs related morbidity & mortality.
Enhance access to NCDs prevention, control & management through innovation and technology to reduce disease burden and avertible complications.
Goal & Objectives
To reduce burden of morbidity and premature mortality related to NCDs.
- Prevention of NCDs
To prevent NCDs by risk factor modifications through health promotion and multi-sectoral action following a life-course approach.
- Control of NCDs
To provide access to the population for NCDs care through early detection and management by strengthening existing health systems.
- Research, Monitoring & Evaluation
To assess and monitor NCDs and risk factor situation in Punjab through Case Registries, Operational Research and Surveys.
Program Inception – January 2017
- Digitalization of record-Development of Android app (ISA) for Screening Desks, Web Portal for NCDs Clinics & Dashboard for online monitoring. All screening and patients’ records are digitalized for efficient data management and policy making.
- Development of intervention package(training manuals, desk guides, counselling tools) for the management of NCDs.
- Capacity building of district health-1508 Health Professionals trained on intervention package.
- Screening of more than 2.9 Million people for NCDs through Screening Desks, Screening Camps and Health Weeks.
- Organization of First Health Week (August 2017-Total 362,017 people were screened against prioritized Non-Communicable Diseases such as Hypertension, Diabetes Mellitus, Asthma and COPD from all 36 districts of Punjab and integrated screening of Viral Hepatitis (B&C), TB, Malaria etc.
- Organization of Second Health Week (February 2018)-A total of 846,343 were screened from all 36 districts of Punjab for priority NCDs, out of which 799,547 were adults above age 14 and 46,796 children of age 14 and below.
- Establishment of NCDs Service Delivery Points at Secondary Level Hospitals (130 Screening Desks & 130 NCDs Clinics).
- Patient registration, management & follow-up of more than 278,000 Diabetics, 161,000 Hypertensives, and 54,000 patients of CRDs (Asthma & COPD) through NCDs Clinics.
- Health Promotion through Health Communication and Health Education.
- Development of updated training manual on Integrated Management of NCDs.
- Development of a Multi-Sectoral Action Plan identifying roles of all relevant stakeholders and developing mechanism to monitor its implementation.
- Development of Risk Factor Assessment Questionnaire for Diabetes, Asthma, COPD and Cancers (Oral, CA Breast and Cervical).
- Development of Cancer Registry Form in accordance with international guidelines.
- Research publications and development of guidelines.
- Development of a communication strategy for NCDs encompassing innovative community based and IT based techniques with customized interventions for rural and urban population.
- Development of Intervention-Package for early detection of Breast, Cervical & Oral Cancers.
- Capacity building of Doctors and Paramedics of Primary Healthcare Facilities (BHUs & RHCs) on Screening & Management of NCDs.
- Training of LHWs on counselling & health awareness about NCDs and risk factors
- Establishment of referral linkages with Tertiary Care Hospitals for management of complicated cases.
- Development of provincial Cancer Registry.
- Conducting’ operational and behavioral research on NCDs .
Official Website: https://ncd.punjab.gov.pk/
Address: Office of the Director General Health Services Punjab, 24-Cooper Road, Lahore.
Phone: 042-99206293, 042-99206294
Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/ncdpshdgop/