District Health Information System (DHIS) is a mechanism of data collection, transmission, processing, analysis and information feedback to the first level care facilities & secondary level health care facilities. DHIS provides a baseline data for district planning implementation and monitoring on major indicators of disease pattern, preventive services and physical resources.
The revised system, unlike the previous system, would gather and collate information from Secondary level hospitals (District Headquarter Hospitals (DHQs) and Tehsil Headquarter Hospitals (THQs)).
DHIS is a district – based Routine Health Information System
- Responds to the information need of the District health system’s performance monitoring function both at district and province levels
- DHIS provides minimum set of indicators
- Promotes / Supports evidence based decision- making at local level & provincial level
- Cater to the important routine health information needs of the federal & provincial levels for monitoring policy implementation
- DHIS is an improved version of HMIS as it incorporates many indicators from HMIS.
DHIS is fully implemented and functional in all Districts of Punjab province since 2009, thus there is a regular need of data analysis for promoting evidence based decision making and improvement in data quality.
The overall purpose of this feedback report is to provide basic analyses of important performance indicators to the district managers and facility in-charges. This would then ensure the identification of problem areas or best practices, problem analysis and planning of solutions, implementation of the solutions, monitoring the implementation and evaluating the solutions.
This report shall assist the district, provincial & national health managers to analyse the health situation, their services (e.g. EPI, TB-Dots, Malaria, Hepatitis, MCH & Family Planning Services), availability of drugs/ supplies, essential equipment and utilities etc. Other users of this report would be the district, provincial and national managers who are some way or the other involved in improving the health services and have a role in the overall health care delivery system.
- Revamping of DHIS Cell into “Punjab Health Information, Monitoring & Evaluation Unit (PHIMU)”.
- Review/Change in DHIS Reporting indicators, capturing qualitative indicators
- Development of Reporting Form for Teaching Hospitals
- Scaling up of “Monitoring of Monitors” by use of SMART PHONE in collaboration with PITB & PSPU in 36 districts.
- Integration of the various MIS Systems i.e. DHIS, MNCH, LHW, EPI, TB DOTS, Malaria, Dengue, DEWS, DSS etc.
- Development of Daily Reporting System through SMS in 9 districts
- Tracking of Performance of Programs through internal evaluation